Amazing Condition 1987 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Turbo Automatic with only 163K Miles. I buy and restore older Toyota vehicles (4Runners, Land Cruisers, FJs) one at a time as a hobby and I am confident you will not find a nicer 1st Gen SR5 Turbo 4Runner than this one. If you are reading this post, you know this is a “unicorn” vehicle. The SR5 Turbos simply do not exist in this condition any more and I’ve spent the past few months restoring the interior and installing brand new parts to bring this one back to factory condition.
Over the past few months we performed a partial restoration. For the mechanical side of things, the engine, transmission, transfer case, axles, and other drive-train components were serviced and various upgrades were performed. We then replaced all potential age-related components to new – starter, alternator, battery, spark plugs and wires, A/C compressor and system (R134a conversion performed). The undercarriage was sprayed black and the spare tire wheel was even re-sprayed white. The truck starts as soon as you turn the key, idles great, and drives like new.
We then removed the entire interior from the dash to the tailgate – no parts were left untouched. We first applied sound deafening on all flooring. We then installed brand new carpet and new SR5 seat fabric was installed on the front seats. All interior parts were removed, cleaned, and restored. Older worn-out parts were replaced and rare missing parts were acquired (ex. rear seat mount plastic covers).
We then applied a few strategic upgrades. We added a new stereo system to bring the 4Runner up to today’s standards – a new Touchscreen Double Din head unit was added with DVD, Bluetooth, Hands-Free, USB, and anything else you could want along with new front 4” and rear 6x9” speakers. We also added new LED Blubs throughout the interior.
Overall, it’s an amazing truck. No rust, no leaks, no scratches or dents, no problems! Everything works as it was intended to or better than it did when it rolled off the factory floor 30-yrs ago. I’ve been daily driving it over the past few weeks to make final tweaks. It’s a blast to drive, especially watching the SR5 Turbo Boost Gauge on the Toyota Digital Dash. And of course, my kids love riding in it, especially when we take the Hard Top off!
Here are the specs:
Mileage: 162,000 with Clean Title in hand and always Garage Kept
Engine: Toyota 22R-E Turbo Charged 4 Cylinder
Transmission: Toyota Automatic Transmission (A340H)
Transfer Case: Stock transfer case (High and Low Range) in great condition
Tires: Brand New 31x10.50 Firestone Primewell Valera H/T Tires on stock 4Runner Wheels
Interior and Lighting: Power Windows (Front Doors and Rear Tailgate), Power Locks, Power Mirrors, SR5 Multi-Adjustment seats, LEDs for all interior lights
Stereo Head Unit: New BOSS Audio BV9364B Double Din, Touchscreen, Bluetooth, Handsfree, DVD/CD/MP3/USB/SD AM/FM Car Stereo, 6.2 Inch Digital LCD Monitor, Wireless Remote
Stereo Speakers: New 4” Boss Audio Front Speakers and New 6x9” Boss Audio Rear Speakers
- New 4Runner Side Pillar Emblems
- New 4Runner SR5 Turbo rear emblems
- New LED Interior Bulbs Throughout
- WeatherTech Front and Rear Floor Mats
- OEM Rear Trailer Hitch
Brand New Parts:
- New AC Compressor and Belt with Full Recharge after R134a Conversion
- New Alternator and Belt
- New Starter and Added High Voltage Starter Relay Circuit
- New EverStart Plus Battery and Terminal Connectors
- New Spark Plugs and NGK Spark Plug Wire Set
- New Sound Dampening Throughout
- New Interior Carpet Throughout (Front, Center, and Cargo)
- New SR5 Front Seat Fabric and Cushioning (sides only as center fabric is pristine)
- New SR5 Door Panel Fabric
- New SR5 Center Console Lid Fabric
- New Front Bumper, Valence, Grill, Headlight Surrounds (the entire front of the 4runner is new)
- New Front Headlights with High Output Bulbs
- New Front Corner Lights
- New Rear Taillights
- New Horn (no longer sounds like a minivan)
- All New Belts (Drive, Compressor, and Alternator)
- Flushed Radiator (OEM Metal/Copper original) and refilled with New Coolant
- Flushed Transmission and refilled with New Fluid
- New Transmission Pan Gasket
- New Transmission Shifter Lever Bushings
- New Silicon between Hard Top and Cab
- Spare Tire Cleaned and Repainted factory white
- Performed Engine Compartment 3-stage Deep Cleaning (Degrease, Clean, Shine)
- Refilled Front and Rear Windshield Washer Fluid
Items Not Perfect:
- Cruise Control – Hooked up, but doesn’t work well. I read a lot about it and most people simply disconnect it, so I didn’t bother to fix something that wasn’t designed well in the first place
- Fuel Gauge – Hooked up, but doesn’t work well. It reads correctly some of the time throughout its cycle, but keeping track of mileage between fill-ups is best.
- Rear Bumper – Has a few small dings, scratches, and cracks. You cannot find this bumper anymore and many have default to aftermarket or ugly step-side bumpers, so I felt it was better keeping it even if it isn’t flawless.
- Interior Plastic Trim – All interior trim was removed, cleaned, and restored, but of course there are some imperfections simply due to the age of the OEM plastic.
- Front Windshield – Had a ding in the center that was professionally repaired by Safelite AutoGlass. Is the factory 30+ year old original with the Original Toyota sticker in the corner.
Asking Price: $24,990 OBO
Location: Vestavia Hills, AL 35216
Note: The vehicle had two very minor accidents many years ago while in FL that most likely impacted the front and rear bumpers. They were likely repaired before I purchased the vehicle. Once in my possession, I replaced the entire front end including the bumper and further repaired the rear bumper. I have personally never found any evidence of accident damage and have touched almost ever bolt and part on the vehicle. It's an amazing truck with no issues as stated above in great detail, with full disclosure and transparency.